Saturday, March 29, 2008

Lesson 12: I Am Grateful Animals

For each lesson I always have a few ideas that are terrible but I still think would be really really funny to do. Here are some of my nixed ideas for I Am Grateful for Animals lesson:

1. Bring in my cat, Battle, and let the kids pet him and chase him around. But I suspect once cornered by 12-14 two year olds, Battle would opt for fight instead of flight. And one kid out of the bunch is probably terribly allergic.

2. Pick up that road killed possum and bring it in to church so the kids could get a close look at a real wild animal.

3. Call up a friend of mine and asked to borrow his mounted deer head or his deer hunting X-box game.

There are a few more, but obviously they're all going in a pretty bad direction.

Really though, I love animals so this could be a fun lesson. I plan to open like I always do: reminding the kids about the earth's creation. Then tell them that Heavenly Father and Jesus created animals. I'm going to ask them about animals: Do they like animals? Do they have any animals? I'm going to tell them about the garden of Eden, that Heavenly Father put the animals in the garden and told Adam to watch over them. I'm going to talk about how Heavenly Father wants us to watch over and be kind to our animals. I'll ask them if they are kind to animals.

Tell the story of Noah's Ark. I plan to check out Peter Spier's Noah's Ark to help me tell the story. Great book! or maybe attempt to use this finger poem from the lesson book, maybe.... It's really really long so I think using the story book would be a lot easier.

Noah built an ark so big (outstretch arms);
He knew just what to do (place finger on side of forehead).
He hammered, sawed, and measured (make motions as indicated)
As he’d been commanded to (nod head).
And Noah called his family (beckon with arm)
To march onto the boat (march quietly in place)—
And, two by two, the animals (hold up two fingers)
Came aboard to float (make floating motion with hands).
The heavy dark clouds gathered (place hands above head),
The rain began to fall (wiggle fingers imitating rain)—
And all the earth was covered (make a sweeping motion with hand and arm);
There was no land at all (turn head from side to side).
The ark just floated safely (make a floating motion with hands)
Many a day and night (put hands together on one side of face),
Until the sun came out again (place arms in a circle above head)
And shone so warm and bright.
And all the water dried right up (cross arms across chest);
Dry land did appear (open arms and extend hands).
Noah’s family gave their thanks (bow head and fold arms)
That God was always near.
(Adapted from a verse by Beverly Spencer.)

I'm going to ask the kids why they think Heavenly Father wanted Noah to save the animals. Tell them that Heavenly Father loves the animals and Heavenly Father knows that animals do a lot to help people.

Brown bag 1: I'm going to tell the kids that animals do soo much for us. Here are a few items that I'm thinking off: some llama yarn from my knitting (let each child touch it), some cheese (I'll make it in small cubes so each kid can eat one), a picture of Mary riding the donkey, a toy bat (they eat lots of bugs so we don't get bit). Anyone have any other ideas? This is kind of tricky because I'm a vegetarian so I'd feel a little weird pulling out a bunch of meat or leather.

Brown Bag2: I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of knit finger puppet animals. I'm going to let each kid come pick one out of a bag and whichever animal they pick we are all going to talk about then pretend to be. After each child has picked an animal we are going to play a small game where I hold up a finger puppet and they have to pretend to be whichever animal I hold up. I'm sure this would work just as well with picture cut outs.

Some other ideas that I might do:
1. Play pin the tail on the donkey during play time.
2. Play little brown bear during play time.
3. Make three scenes: Farm, forest, house and let kids pick an animal off the wall and put it in the correct scene.
4. Sing Old McDonald. Or the What Use Are You? song.

For the craft I think we're going to make animals puppets out of brown bags. I need to go buy googlie eyes at the store today. Anyone have any other animal craft ideas?

53 comments:

jeans said...

Well, I have to say that once when we did this lesson in nursery while I was one of the leaders I actually did bring in one of my chickens (a hen, of course, NOT a rooster). No one was allergic to birds - mammal dander is usually a sure thing for someone in the group, but birds you might be able to get away with. It was very quiet in its box during the rest of the lesson and we brought it out once and I held it on my lap and let those who wanted to, gently touch its feathers. I brought a little dish of cracked corn for her to eat and they thought the way she ate was hilarious. It was risky, but it worked out fine. Whew. Could have been a disaster.

jenmomrn said...

I remember the old nursery tape used to have a fun imaginary trip to the zoo. The kids got to act out what each animal did...it was fun and the kids enjoyed it. Old McDonald had a farm is a great song...

Vanessa said...

Becca told me about your nursery site! It is so great. I have been wanting to do our FHE around what Abby learned in nursery, now I know!
-Vanessa (Becca's sister in law

Vanessa said...

Brown Brown Bear What Do You See
and
Polar Polar Bear What Do You Hear are cute books to do with animals...

Vanessa said...

craft ideas....you could have them make animals masks out of felt

Utah Lovebirds said...

I love how you always bring more than the obvious scriptures into your lessons. Like Mary riding a donkey in this one. And Jesus washing the apostles' feet in the water lesson.

Dan Cummings said...

I'm all for Battle Cat being in the lesson, but then maybe small children and I shouldn't be in the same room... we would compete for the toys.

Celia Fae said...

Hi. I was recently called to nursery (okay, so I campaigned for it because I BELIEVE) and I knew there would be some good resources for me out there. It's been fifteen years and I can't wait to do it again. Great site. I look forward to using your clever ideas.

Mary Beth said...

I have been keeping track of your blog and then it stopped. I really do enjoy reading what you do with nursery.. and hope everything is ok and you are just busy. Wanted to say you have a fan base that loves to read your lesson plans.

Kindest
Mary Beth

Chrissie said...

Hi. I'm another fan of your blog and I'm a bit perturbed (like the previous lady) because it's stopped on I am Grateful for Animals (which is my lesson tomorrow) and then NEXT Sunday WHAT DO I DO!??! No good ideas to steal from you :D

Hope you can blog again soon.

Chrissie in Wales, UK

M said...

Me too!! Don't stress about doing all the lessons in between--just start where you are now, please, so I can borrow your good ideas too. I miss this blog.

Life gets busy, though, I know. Just letting you know you've got a fan who keeps checking back every week to see if you've returned. :-)

makakona said...

just someone else checking in. could you at least let us know that you're alive?! :(

Melanie said...

Hi there ~

I was just wondering if you could correct a link? I just updated my Nursery page on SugarDoodle and wanted to let you know of the new url for the Nursery page:

http://tinyurl.com/59sg3f

The page you are linked to [on your side bar] will be gone eventually, so I thought I'd provide you with the above link.

Sorry, I just didn't know how to contact you otherwise. Thank you!

Melanie
www.sugardoodle.net

Jessica H said...

I miss your blog too. Hopefully, for your sake, you have been released. Just kidding. Hope to hear some new stuff from you soon.

Chrissie said...

Just checked you again, and you're still not about. :( Hope you're ok.

Likely said...

LOVE this site! I ran across it because I was trying to find some inspiration for my new calling as nursery song leader. Thank you so much!

eamon said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Kate
http://educationonline-101.com

想你 said...

thx u very much, i learn a lot

佳慧 said...

夫妻私密俱樂部素人自拍無碼女優自拍密錄館正妹無名相簿正妹裸照正妹桌面正妹桌布成人 影片星野亞希 h星野亞季星野亞西主題星野亞西樣式星野亞西桌布星野亞矢星野涼宇星野美由星野akari星空網路聊天室視訊 辣妹go2av免費影片航海王h短片分享go2av免費看影片go2av免費影片18 禁一葉情貼影入口18 成人girl5320免費影片18成人咆哮小老鼠視訊聊天免費成人片免費a片觀看真人野球拳免費聊天交友ut視訊080aa片直播台灣18網免費A片柔情聊天網一對多視訊聊天人妻貼圖

惠IdellA_Fecteau1231蘋 said...

舊書不厭百回讀,熟讀深思子自知。..................................................

BlancaMcleroy1230 said...

辛苦了!祝你愈來愈好!........................................

原秋 said...

很用心的blog,推推哦 ........................................

AllenA_Ratcliff0于婷 said...

Nice blog85cc,咆哮小老鼠,85街,免費影片,情趣爽翻天,愛戀情人用品,交友找啦咧,線上a片,女同志聊天室,sexy,色情網站,網愛聊天室,情色性愛貼圖,小穴,性愛姿勢,陰脣室,成人圖貼,性愛技巧,a片論壇,色情,85c,sexy網,人妻,脫衣,6k,18禁,手淫,性幻想,77p2p,情色,1007,85c,0401,後宮,色情,淫蕩,正妹,77p2p,ut室

孟倫孟倫 said...

感謝是愛心的第一步........................................

韋于倫成 said...

日本視訊聊天室日本免費視訊日本免費視訊聊天日本情色論壇 浪漫月光論壇爆乳娘影片我愛78論壇情色情趣 商品我愛78影片我愛黑澀會美眉走光照片打手槍一本道 a片 東京熱av免費影片一本道 a片 東京熱avdvd影片一對一視訊辣妹妹影音視訊聊天室一對一視訊聊天一對一視訊一對多美女視訊淫美色論壇浪漫月光論壇成人視訊桃園視訊 成人網頁柔情聊天室柔情聊天網松島楓免費影片東洋成人杜雷斯免費影片本土自拍天堂34c寶貝視訊本土自拍貼圖 成人網頁月光論壇日本情色論壇 日本免費視訊聊天日本免費視訊日本視訊聊天室日本視訊日本美女寫真集 kk視訊日本美女名模寫真集av桃園兼職援交辣妹視訊桃園援交小魔女自拍天堂浪漫月光論壇影片下載區浪漫月光論壇85cc成人影片區浪漫月光論壇

育德 said...

與人相處不妨多用眼睛說話,多用嘴巴思考,...............................................................

07_TeddyF_Silvey0 said...

Man proposes, God disposes.........................................

huntb said...

我來給你支持鼓勵~祝你事事如意~~..................................................

vickiekurt said...

you‘ve got a great personality!............................................................

雲亨 said...

It is never too late to learn. ..................................................................

洪筱婷 said...

果然很有意思呀....這當然要頂一頂呀.................................................................

慧玲慧玲 said...

河水永遠是相同的,可是每一剎那又都是新的。....................................................................

江婷 said...

死亡是悲哀的,但活得不快樂更悲哀。.................................................................

湘均湘均 said...

It takes all kinds to make a world.............................................................

鄭湘定 said...

It takes all kinds to make a world.............................................................

怡君 said...

如果相遇.你會感到相知.那麼.有一種習慣叫做陪伴;如果陪伴.你會感到珍惜.那麼.有一種甜蜜叫做存在!..................................................................

懿綺懿綺 said...

Rome was not built in a day............................................................

茹希茹希 said...

要求適合自己的愛情方式,是會得到更多,還是會錯過一個真正愛你的人。.................................................................

楊儀卉 said...

到處盡心,即為快事;舉步踏實,便是坦途。.......................................................

芳瑜芳瑜 said...

死亡是悲哀的,但活得不快樂更悲哀。. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

林彥以林彥以 said...

從來愛都不知它的深度,非得等到別離的時候.................................................................

陳晏李秀樺雄 said...

「仁慈」二個字,就能讓冬天三個月都溫暖。..................................................

柏陳勳 said...

好的部落格就要和好朋友分享--感謝分享..................................................................

凱v胡倫 said...

Learn wisdom by the follies of others.............................................................

平幸蔡婉玲杰 said...

成功可招引朋友,挫敗可考驗朋友............................................................

尚铭 said...

很棒的分享~~~來留個言囉~~~~............................................................

文王廷 said...

心中醒,口中說,紙上作,不從身上習過,皆無用也。..................................................

于庭吳 said...

good, excellent, nice job!!..................................................................

木詹詹詹詹詹行詹詹 said...

財富並非永遠的朋友,但朋友卻是永遠的財富。......................................................................

瑰潼 said...

在莫非定律中有項笨蛋定律:「一個組織中的笨蛋,恆大於等於三分之二。」............................................................

惠邱邱邱邱雯 said...

加油!!! 很棒的分享~

王怡迪 said...

一個人的際遇在第一次總是最深刻的,有時候甚至會讓人的心變成永遠的絕緣。......................................................................

Jaimie said...

What a cute idea for a blog! I just found you. We're always open to new idea for nursery huh? And get this, by the end of the year, we will have 30 kids in our nursery!
Thanks for sharing!